Image and recipe taken from here.
This recipe stemmed from my need to get rid of some Italian Sausage the we bought on Manager's Special at King Soopers a while back, and was taking up space in my refrigerator. We already had the manicotti in the pantry, and I was wondering why Shawn had wanted the ricotta cheese....
- 1 (1 lb.) roll of ground Italian sausage
- 1 box of manicotti pasta
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 1 pack fresh basil, rinsed and chopped
- 1 15oz. container ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- dash of salt
- 1 jar alfredo sauce (4 cheese is great)
- 1 jar marinara or other tomato based sauce(I like fire roasted tomato and garlic)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook the manicotti according to package.
- Hint: I put a little bit of olive oil in my water to keep pasta from sticking
- While manicotti is cooking, heat olive oil in pan and add garlic
- Once garlic is slightly golden in color, add sausage and cook thoroughly
- Once manicotti is finished, drain and dry.
- For the manicotti filling, place the ricotta in a large bowl.
- Add eggs and mix thoroughly
- Mix in basil and salt
- Once sausage is cooked, mix in with ricotta mixture
- Fill manicotti with cheese/sausage mix
- Place manicotti in a 9x13 baking pan.
- Cover manicotti with alfredo sauch and then with a small amount of tomato sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes