Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pineapple-Chile Tofu with Craisin Quinoa Salad

Hello everyone, this is going to be the first delicious contribution to the Vehement Vegetarian portion of Aimless Omnivores. This dish was experimental for me, and has taken a couple tries to turn into this amazing vegan delight that it is today. It's very easy to make, and I sincerely hope you enjoy it!



First of all, I didn't measure anything. I just threw a bunch of stuff together. If I tried to give you measurements I don't know that it would turn out deliciously.

Without further ado, here's the recipe:
Start with extra firm tofu, pressed for about a half hour. For those who haven't pressed tofu, I wrap mine in a bunch of paper towels and place something about the weight of a frying pan on it, and let it sit there for 30 minutes. Then quarter the tofu and marinate it using the following:

Marinade:

* Chili sauce (you will find it in the Asian section at the grocery store, I got a honey chili sauce)
* Crushed Pineapples
* Lemon Juice
* Lime Juice
* Chopped Garlic
* Soy Sauce
* Sherry (optional)-very little
* Mirin (optional)-found in the Asian section at the grocery store


After you've marinated your tofu (or Chicken, honestly that's fine, I won't tell anyone) for about an hour, pan fry it really quick to let it simmer in the juices and then grill it (I used the George Foreman). Throw some sesame seeds on top for extra aesthetic and taste. I threw the remaining marinade on top of my tofu, but you can also save it for future marinating extravaganzas.

Quinoa Salad:

* Cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked quinoa)
* cilantro
* jalapeƱos
* onion
* craisins
* chopped walnuts
* lime/lemon juice


Use your taste buds to find out which amounts work for you. I like a LOT of cilantro, but you might prefer more craisins. ONLY the quinoa is cooked, everything else is fresh (and amazing). Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment